June 5, 2012

Vegetable Curry (a Vegan recipe)


Last night for supper I made Vegetable Curry.  I love spicy food but this time around I made it with a new curry blend I purchased from Penzy's Spice Company and it was HOT.  Too hot for my palate and I had to consume more rice than I had planned on to keep my mouth from burning up.  The rest of the family must have loved it as we didn't have any leftovers.  Next time I'll make a double batch and go easier on the curry spice.

Vegetable Curry (a Vegan recipe)

3 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium green pepper, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tomatoes, skinned and diced
1 T lemon juice
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
2 tsp turmeric
1 T curry powder
2 T cornstarch
1 can lite coconut milk
Add the pepper, carrots, and celery into a large pot or pan and saute on medium heat until the vegetables start to soften.  You can use oil to saute with if you'd like.  I just use splashes of water.
Add the onion, apple and tomatoes.  Stir.  Add lemon juice, curry powder, and turmeric.  Mix and heat on low for about 10 minutes.  Add in cornstarch and coconut milk.
Add in cornstarch and coconut milk.  Mix well.  Heat on medium until it begins to boil, reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve with Basmati Rice.

No comments: