September 17, 2009

Brunswick Stew Review

I am feeling right at home now back with the Weight Watchers program. I'm on week 5 and I've lost 7 pounds. There was a tough week during the county fair and I actually skipped my weight in. I knew the scale wasn't going to be very friendly.

Last week I picked up the new Weight Watchers cookbook, Comfort Classics. I planned out the next two weeks of meals and they all consist of meals from this cookbook. I'll be posting reviews for them all here. So make sure you stop back by to see what rating I give them.

A couple of nights ago we tried the Brunswick Stew (Weight Watchers Comfort Classics, p. 79)

Prep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min. Serves 4. Points 5

Ingredients:
1 T flour
1/4 tsp cayenne
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, each cut into 4 pieces
2 slices center-cut bacon
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2" pieces (I didn't have any on hand so I skipped this)
1 onion, cut into 1" slices
1 med. red pepper, cut into thick strips
1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes (I used a quart of canned tomatoes from my garden)
1 cup thawed frozen mixed veggies (corn, carrots, peas and green beans) (I used a can of each as I didn't have any frozen)
1 T apple-cider vinegar (I used Pomegrante Basalmic Vinegar)
1/2 tsp Worcester sauce
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce


1. Combine the flour and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat.

2. Cook the bacon in a large saucepan until crisp. (one tip which I use, thanks to the Food Network - I cut two "strips" from a package of frozen bacon. Cut so you're cutting a strip across the whole package. That way your getting pieces instead of a strip. Then you can put the other bacon back in the frezzer for future use)
Drain on a paper towel - crumble if needed (you won't need to if you use my tip above). Add the chicken to the saucepan and cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.



3. Add the celery, onion, and bell pepper to the saucepan; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the chicken, bacon, tomatoes, mixed vegetables, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper sauce; bring to a boil.



4. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are very tender and the stew is thickened, 20-25 minutes.




Our rating - 3.5/5 stars.

No comments: