June 5, 2012

BBQ Pizza Vegan

This recipe comes from the Engine 2 Diet book and was a HUGE hit with my husband.  After not eating anything sweet for three weeks the BBQ sauce was a bit sweet for me.  I think next time I'll add a little more tomato paste or try and find a BBQ sauce that isn't so sweet.  It's really hard to find a sauce that doesn't have sugar as one of the first three ingredients.  If anyone knows of any, can you please leave a comment with the brand name and where you found it?

 

Burt's BBQ Pizza Ingredients:

4 ounces tomato paste
1 cup BBQ sauce
2 tsp dried oregano
2 Kabuli crusts (I couldn't find those so I used whole grain naan flatbreads)
1 small red onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced (I used a green one)
2 handfuls of fresh spinach (next time I'll go with 3 handfuls)
1 jar pineapple chunks, drained
1/2 cup finely ground raw cashews

 Preheat oven to 425°.  Mix the tomato paste, barbecue sauce and oregano together in a bowl.  Generously spread the sauce on the crusts and layer with the vegetables and pineapple.  Top with the cashews.  Bake on a sprayed cooking sheet or pizza stone for 15 minutes. My son added some pre-cooked chicken to  his pizza but my husband and I kept ours animal protein free (the Eat to Live way).

No comments: